Monday 8 February 2010

Week one developments and ideas



Between reading up on slap stick i decided to get the environment and character design in my head and out onto paper, so i can develop quickly the most practical tools i need to make this project work.

After speaking with Alan, the decision around my character was that it was so stay very simple, cartoon like (but not 'cartoony') This means NO ncloth at all will be used, just efficient blend shapes and all weights painted correctly onto my final character. He will be dressed in simple clothing; jogging bottoms, plain knitted top, droopy socks and slippers. Ive actually managed to model and texture the slippers, Ive kept them simple but with slightly more interesting plaid texture to make them less boring. I want to do the same for the top. I want to model it simply but use a texture that makes it seem as if its knitted wool. Basic but still interesting. Ive also brought into this project the Basil Fawlty influence i had initially wanted, by this i mean the tall awkwardness, which will also aid me in the animation process, enabling me to create over the top gestures and eccentric poses.

When it came to decisions regarding the environment, i still wanted it to be simple but with a few quirky touches, for instance the old fashioned clock, old books and the typical wing back chair. In the screen shots below the placing for the furniture is not quite as it will finally be. I want to have the chair and table facing more towards the window and also i have decided to shrink the room down in the width as at the moment i have made it slightly to wide. I have not yet put in all of the objects that i want in the final scene as there are a few more, a tree outside of the window, for example. Also the cup of coffee will be brought into the scene with, 'Bert,' and further more a fly swat will be introduced to the scene when it is removed from the drawer in the table next to him. I have also added wooden edging around the room and ceiling as it would be in a real room. I have tried to keep everything quite pastel based colour wise - nothing to shocking or vibrant, as it wouldn't be in an elderly persons home anyway, but this then means Bert himself, will pop out of the scenery that surrounds him without looking too strange. Also primary red and green are naturally complimentary colours so Bert is visually quite pleasing to the eye.

I also added a small vase on the table within it are two flowers, which are also growing the plant pots outside of his room which you can see on the outside window sill. I tried to include objects that came apart; the chair breaks up into two pieces the table also breaks up into two pieces, and will have a cup f coffee and and case with flowers on it, there is also a picture on the wall and a rug on the floor, all of which are adding to my final 'props' list, allowing me to have a much better storyboard of ideas, incorporating slapstick, clumsy comedy moments within the story.

My next real aim for this week (week 2) is to start storyboarding properly but continuing with modelling my environment scene so that hopefully i will be able to focus all my attention on modelling, rigging and everything else regarding Bert in weeks 3.5 to 5.











No comments:

Post a Comment