Tuesday 9 February 2010

Back to basics

''Old people's faces''









Back to Basics - animation/character design

From the first few pages of the book, 'The Animators Survival Kit' this animator is listed

Richard Williams
'The little island' 1958

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COWHqrOwIf4&feature=PlayList&p=D496FD1313BF856C&index=0&playnext=1

Using completely basic geometric shapes and two suggestive ovals for eyes he is still able to animate the characters in a way to provoke emotion. This simplicity is what i need to bring into my own character, obviously not to the same extreme.

I must admit i have been finding it hard to visualise something in my head that isn't realistic in appearance regarding my character, but after a few tutorials with Phil and Alan today it started to click in my head. I think that the initial thing that caused me to get slightly lost within this visual difference is the 'how' when it comes to animating it. At first i was unsure if it would still be able to be as expressive as i would want it to be but the answer is a definite yes. For now i am going to continue with solely the character designs; researching faces, technical character design processes within industry and efficient means to create a character.







No comments:

Post a Comment