Thursday 11 February 2010

Further developments of bert






I continued working on my initial sketches i had drawn regarding my only character 'Bert' taking into further consideration his personality. I had already had simple thoughts as to the sort of person he was in my mind but after doing some further reading on character design i discovered i needed to know exactly who he was. I then took into consideration his age, and what effects age has on a persons body, an also how these effects could compliment his persona. For instance as you can see below Ive decided that he is going to be an 'easily disappointed' elderly man, easily bugged and annoyed by little things, but not excessively grumpy.

To contribute to his mood i decided he would need more of a hunched back, but also a contributing slouch, to emphasise this, 'I'm never impressed by anything' sort of look. Ive also decided that his arms are to be held back over his hips so his pelvis is the lead part of his anatomy, he would have a slow shuffle style walk with a slight wobble from his top half.

I have been reading through a very helpful book entitled, 'exploring character design, A step by step guide to designing and developing characters for visual media,' by 'Hedgpeth & Missal'.




These are my working images of Bert, focusing on the curved, slouched shape of his back and forward forcing pelvis.





In these images i was just trying to achieve the right, 's' shaped spine without making him look like an grumpy teenager, and rather more like a tired old man. I made his spine to humped and then took curved so that i could find a suitable middle ground to draw from.


I started on doing a few pose test of which I'm working on some more now and then further development of his body. Below i went over my pencil sketches in pen on a sepearte sheet and added a touch of colour using illustrator to see how he is beginning to work as a whole character.









No comments:

Post a Comment